Laura's Famous Battenburg Cake
Click picture for downloadable version of recipe
100g softened butter
100g caster sugar
2 large eggs
50g ground rice
100g self raising flour
1⁄2 level tsp baking powder
a few drops almond essence
red food colouring
3-4 tbsp apricot jam
225g almond paste or marzipan
1. Pre heat oven to 160 °C/ Fan140 °C/Gas 3. Grease and line 2 x loaf tins (22 x 8cm)
2. Beat all the cake ingredients together with a hand whisk for a good 2 minutes.
3. Spoon half the mixture into one loaf tin.
4. Tint the other half of the mixture with the colouring to make a deep pink, transfer to the other tin.
5. Bake in the oven for about 25 min, until well risen and springy to the touch (do not let it colour too
6. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to completely cool.
7. Cut off any bumps and lumps with a sharp knife to make even, flat surfaces.
8. Stack cakes one on top of the other and cut equally in half down the longside to make 4 strips of
9. Roll your marzipan to the same length as your cake on one side and enough to wrap around all 4
short sides on the other side (roughly 23 x 32cm )
10. Warm the apricot jam to make it runny and paint the marzipan with a thin layer.
11. Arrange one yellow and one pink cake strip next to each other on the marzipan with a layer of jam
painted on the long side between to stick them together.
12. Now paint jam on the whole top surface of the layer of cake.
13. Arrange another pair of cake strips (the opposite way round to the first) ontop of the first layer.
14. Wrap the whole cake with the marzipan, standing it down on the side where the marzipan seam is.
15. Sprinkle your board with either caster sugar or icing sugar and roll the cake in the sugar.
16. Score the top lightly with a criss cross pattern if desired.